This Healthcare Leadership, Quality & Safety workshop focuses on healthcare professionals for leadership, including quality and safety.
About this Event
Organizations today depend on talent, but talent is not enough. As the healthcare system moves towards value and reimbursement models linked to quality, there is an increased focus on creating psychological safety for employees, patient safety and quality of care. This Healthcare Leadership, Quality & Safety workshop focuses on healthcare professionals for leadership, including those focused on quality and safety. Participants of the workshop are able to design, implement, and disseminate policies that measurably improve healthcare quality and patient safety. The primary goal of this training workshop is to train a cadre of health professional-scholars who are prepared to lead quality, safety and operational improvement efforts. This workshop will outline the evidence based leadership and emotional intelligence competencies, which are required to reach the excellence in and patient safety.
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of Çitaku’s Leadership Competency Model towards promoting quality, safety and excellence in healthcare organization.
- Develop an understanding of what emotional intelligence is and how it impacts your leadership of quality improvement and patient safety.
- Learn the neuroscience of emotional hijacking and how it affects the brain, body and behavior.
- Describe the principles of system design, human factors, and high reliability.
- Demonstrate coaching methods for disclosure and apology after an adverse event and other organizational crises.
- Articulate the essentials of adverse event investigation including root cause analysis, and identify actionable improvements from adverse events.
- Perform a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis.
- Demonstrate measureable work in health care process redesign, clinical outcomes, and waste/cost reduction.
- Articulate the challenges of effective change in the health care setting, including employing specific change management and consensus building strategies.
- List best strategies for engaging caregivers in change, engaging front line staff, assuring leadership engagement, and identifying methods to assure effectiveness and sustained change.
- Articulate the key interactions between quality and patient safety, medical staff leadership, hospital operations, senior leadership and healthy financial outcomes.
- Çitaku’s Leadership Competency Model
- Emotional Intelligence quality improvement and patient safety
- Neuroscience of emotional hijacks
- Principles of system design, human factors, and high reliability
- Methods for disclosure and apology after an adverse event
- Root cause analysis, and actionable improvements from a standardized adverse event
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
- Measureable work in an area of health care process design, clinical outcomes, or waste/cost reduction
- Challenges of effective change in the health care
- Strategies for engaging caregivers in change, engaging front line staff
- Key interactions between quality and patient safety medical staff leadership, hospital operations, and senior leadership.
- The optimum relationship between quality and patient safety activities and education.
Short interactive lecture; Think/Pair/Share; Buzz Session; Case Study; Incident Process; Question & Answer Period; Short writing exercises; Note Review; Demonstration; Simulation etc.
Location: ALSS, World Trade Center Leutschenbachstrasse 95, CH-8050 Zurich, Switzerland
Costs: 3 days, each day 8.00am-5.00pm (lunch 12.00-1.00)
Costs: (including ALSS-Certificate, snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, lunch and all workshop materials) CHF 1900 per participant
Prof. Dr. Fadil Çitaku, PhD, MME, Uni Bern (CH) Professor of Leadership and Emotional Intelligence for PhD, Doctorate, MSc. and MAS programs; Supervisor for trainee teachers at ETH.
Prof. Dr. Paul Barach, MD, MPH (USA)Double board-certified (anesthesia and intensive
care). He trained at Harvard University and MGH. He is currently practicing, teaching and doing research at Wayne State University School of Medicine and Children’s Hospital.
Prof. Dr. Yawar Hayat Khan (UAE) Director Center of Excellence in Leadership
Innovation & Quality (CLIQ) College of Dental Science (UAE); Director ALSS (South Asia and UAE).